Business Tips and Trends
The key to getting people to read your blog, advertisement, book or brochure is to make sure you have a headline that catches their attention. Take a lesson from marketing and creative experts who have assembled a list of headline words or ideas that make your headlines pop.
- Use numbers. Readers like odd numbers specifically. Scan the magazine stand and you will see how numbers are used in a headline.
- Use exciting adjectives or action words such as Effortless, Free, Amazing, New, and Improved
- Use trigger words like How, Why, What or When
- Use unique reasons like Secrets of, Tricks to, Facts, and Ways to
- Make a promise that your reader finds valuable… words like Guaranteed, that Work, In a Day
The best way to write a headline is to keep it simple and direct. Being clever helps. Puns work, too, and using the tips above. But there is a simple formula to follow that will help build your headline to be effective.
Number or Trigger word + Adjective + Keyword + Promise = Effective Headline
To go one step beyond an effective headline, we think having a visual image (photo, illustration or infographic) adds to any effective article, advertisement, brochure or book. Otherwise your headline needs to be creative with font style, size, and color to make it effective without the visual.